Saturday, September 11, 2010

Art Space Bliss

Still working steadily to transform space taken by books, books, paper, books, books. Transform and reclaim. 
So involved in the process, I'm not able to pause and document it.  But I can tell you about it. With every box that leaves here, every item tossed, something in my being is lightened and energized. As I transform space from inert book storage space to lively working space, something in me is transformed as well. 

Something interesting is emerging, too - it is all still cluttered space....but it's functionally cluttered. 

This is working space.
As I sat here the other day, working on pieces for the fiber arts show I'll be in next month, I had a moment of pure bliss.  Pure bliss is something that regularly infuses my spirit when I'm creating with fiber, but this had more to do with the fact that really for the first time in my life, I feel as though I have space for my art. Dedicated space for working as I need to work. I felt such peace and hope and gratitude - it was, in the true sense of the currently overused word: awesome.


Here is new SAORI loom - it's just perfect.  It's light enough that I can have it further out in the room to be behind it to deal with the warp and then tuck it back near the wall to weave. 

So cluttered it is in Studio2, but it's clutter I can live with, work with.

Speaking of functional clutter, I'm reading a book with a radical perspective on mess and clutter:
A Perfect Mess / The Hidden Benefits of Disorder--How Crammed Closets, Cluttered Offices, and On-the-Fly Planning Make the World a Better Place by Eric Abrahamson and David H. Freedman.

I've only read the first 50 pages, but I'm already seeing how some aspects of my own tendency toward clutter are not negative at all, but may well be adaptive. And it reinforces my conviction that many organizational systems are time and energy wasters. 

My goal now is to find that balance between clutter and disorganization that creates anxiety and procrastination and clutter that is functional and comfortable.

3 Comments:

Blogger Azwana said...

i love the way u work out the space

nice blog writing

cheers

4:52 AM, September 28, 2010  
Anonymous DebraC said...

Hi Zann

This is my first visit to your blog. Love your "chair".

Interesting point you make about functional clutter. I guess some clutter is good, and it does reflect one's creative personality too.

Hope you have managed to find a good balance between clutter and disorganization.

4:16 AM, May 28, 2011  
Blogger 'Zann said...

Hi Debra,
Thanks for visiting. Always looking for that good balance!
Z

11:07 AM, May 28, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home