Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Two Articles

I've been sick for days and am slowly recovering, so I offer for this entry links to a couple of interesting articles which relate to Clutter, Stuff, Accumulation.

This first one, from Art on Paper magazine really tickled me:

"At the time of his death in 1987, Andy Warhol left behind a warehouse full of cardboard boxes that contained the ephemera of his daily life, cleared from his desk on a regular basis from 1974 onward...."

I have boxes like that all over the place. I'm just imagining needing an archivist to deal with them, instead of a Merry Maid.

The second one is from the New York Times of 12/21/06, kind of a defense/rationalization for clutter called Say Yes to Mess.

This article made me remember writing an essay in high school called Creative Clutter: A Mess with Purpose! I think there are good arguments to be made for certain kinds of "mess," but there is a point when clutter becomes dysfunctional and makes life difficult and miserable. That's what I'm trying to deal with here.


1 Comments:

Blogger Jackie said...

Only Andy could think of desk junk as "ART". Actually, I'm thinking of a show that opened a few months ago which was called "bearing witness" in which 8 artists bore witness to some aspect of their lives. One was an instalation of a poets desk and his journals form about 15 years. So I guess that others think of clutter as art too.
Me? I agree with you that a bit of clutter can be ok, but it can quickly grow and expand and become debilitating.

9:42 AM, December 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home