Friday, November 25, 2011

My New Motivational Metaphor



I watched this video, laughed (a lot), passed it on.
Then I began to think about cooking a turkey as a metaphor for all the procrastination and dithering, rationalization and fear that keeps me from getting things done.

"Just put the f*cking turkey in the oven"* is a catchphrase I'm going to try out for awhile.
 (Edited, of course, when in sensitive or impressionably young company.)

Thinking of certain items on my To-Do list as 'turkeys' might be very useful.

Think about all the ways we needlessly complicate things that must be done, when the tasks are often quite simple and straightforward.

If we just start getting those turkeys in the oven and going for walks (metaphor, of course, for the stuff we are eager to do) how nice would that be!

So, do you have any turkeys to get in the oven today? Any walks you want to go on?
-------------------------------------------

*If you're a vegetarian and that image repulses you, feel free to go with  tofurkey.  Actually 'f*ckin' tofurkey' has some very nice consonance to it.


)O(

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Linda Sue said...

I tried tofurkey once and it was a disaster- like eating my car seat. nasty! Turkey is kind of nasty also- but salmon- I can do! Procrastination belongs to perfectionistic personalities, glad i am not one of those! I will do a bad job just to get it done and out of the way- leaves more time for walks with the pooch. We both benefit.

2:09 PM, November 25, 2011  
Blogger 'Zann said...

Lovely Linda!!! I'm not fond of the tofurkey myself. And you are so right about the connection between procrastination & perfectionism. Perfectionism is also what keeps people from delegating, allowing others to help them with tasks. Great to see your name pop up - you are always thought of with love!

3:02 PM, November 25, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home